2016-2017 - 1st Semester
October 6th 2016
Tuesday and Thursday 10:30-12:30
Wednesday: 16:00-18:00 Marko Gasparic (C); 14:00-16:00 and 16:00-18:00 Mehdi Elahi (B and A)
Hours of availability for students and tutoring:
- 16:00 (send me an email to set the
objective of the Introduction to Programming course is to teach the
fundamental principles of programming. We will use an object-oriented
approach and the student will learn how objects "speak" and "cooperate"
to solve a problem. We will teach how to solve problems with good
programs. Hence not only how to write programs but also how to design
and implement effective solutions. The learning will be based on
examples, from very simple ones to more complex. We will use the Java
- Introduction to computer systems
- Data types and expressions
- Classes and objects
- Conditionals and loops
- Object-oriented design
- Arrays and collections
- Inheritance and polymorphism
- Project: the project
consists in the
design and implementation of a Java application with a graphical user
interface 40% of the mark. More details in intro-course.pdf. Note that if you have not passed the project part you could not attend and pass the written exam. So, the project is a prerequisite for attending the written exam.
- Requirements of the project for the summer session 2016/2017 exam will be published on June 5th.
- Criteria for grading: criteria2017.pdf
- Requirements of the exam project - Fall 2017 session will be published on August 22nd.
- Deadline for submitting the fall exam project is September 5th, 2017 at noon.
- Final Exam (fall session) is on September 22nd
1) Introduction to computers and
2) Data and Expressions:
3) Classes and Objects:
4) Writing Classes:
5) Conditionals and Loops:
6) Loops II:
7) Software Development and Interfaces:
- Slides: ch11.pdf; code11.zip
material: JSS Chapter 11
The suggested book is:
- JSS - John Lewis and
William Loftus, Java Software Solutions, Pearson, 2012. There is also a
new edition (ed. 8 - 2014, but the differences are minimal).
Other useful material