Temporal and Spatial Databases (TSDB)
|Academic Year:||2014/15, 2nd semester|
|Lectures:||TUE 10:30-12:30, Room (refer timetable)|
|Labs:||TUE 14:00-16:00, Room (refer timetable)|
|Office hours:||TUE 16:00-17:00 or email arrangement|
Objectives: Understanding of the basics of temporal and spatial database systems.
Prerequisites: Students should be familiar with basic concepts in databases (including relational databases, SQL, and relational algebra) and algorithms. This material is taught in the following courses: Introduction to Databases, and Data Structures and Algorithms.
- New requirements and motivation
- Time domain, timestamps, granularity, calendar
- Abstract and concrete temporal data models
- Temporal Extensions of SQL
- Temporal aggregation
- Temporal Cartesian product and join
- Spatial databases
- Query processing in spatial network databases
References: There is no single textbook that covers the entire course. The course material is collected from the following books and papers:
- C. Bettini, S. Jajodia, X. S. Wang. Time Granularities in Databases. Data Mining, and Temporal Reasoning, chap. 2, Springer-Verlag, July 2000.
- C. S. Jensen, M. D. Soo, and R. T. Snodgrass. Unification of Temporal Data Models. ICDE 2003, pp. 262-271, 1993.
- M. H. Böhlen, C. S. Jensen. Temporal Data Model and Query Language Concepts. Encyclopedia of InformationSystems, Volume 4, Elsevier Science, 2003.
- D. Gao, C. S. Jensen, R. T. Snodgrass, and M. D. Soo. Join operations in temporal databases. VLDB Journal, 14:2-29, 2005.
- B. Moon, I. F. Vega Lopez, and V. Immanuel. Efficient algorithms for large-scale temporal aggregation. IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, vol. 15, no. 3, 2004.
- R. H. Güting. An introduction to spatial database systems. VLDB Journal 3:357-399 (1994).
- D. Papadias, J. Zhang, N. Mamoulis, and Y. Tao. Query processing in spatial network databases. In Proc. of the VLDB, 2003.
- SL01, New requirements, motivation temporal databases, sl01.pdf, ex01.pdf
- SL02, Time domain, granularity, calendar, now, sl02.pdf, ex02.pdf
- SL03, Abstract and concrete temporal data models, sl03.pdf, ex03.pdf
- SL04, Temporal Extensions of SQL, sl04.pdf, ex04.pdf
- SL05, Temporal join and aggregation, sl05.pdf, ex05.pdf
- SL06, Spatial databases, sl06.pdf, ex06.pdf
- SL07, Query processing in spatial network databases, sl07.pdf
- Summary and Exam
The exam is oral and accounts for 100% of the grade.