I am associate professor at
the Faculty of Computer Science
of the Free University of Bozen-Bolzano
(FUB). I received a M.Sc. degree in CS from the TU Vienna (1989)
and a Ph.D. degree in CS from the RWTH Aachen (1996).
My research interests include data intensive systems with a
particular focus on advanced database technologies for processing
temporal and spatial data, data warehousing and analysis, and
approximate query answering. Research methods include fundamental
research, system development, and empirical evaluation. The research
problems originate from various application areas, including
government, tourism, health-care, and agriculture.
Temporal RDBMS: The project aims at extending RDBMs to
provide support for querying temporal data. We implemented our
solution in the kernel of PostgreSQL.
DASA: The project aims at developing solutions for the
analysis of time series data in agriculture, including similarity
search and the imputation of missing values.
Isochrones: The project aims at studying isochrones as a
tool for reachability and catchment analysis in spatial network
- A. Dignös, M.H. Böhlen, J. Gamper, C.S. Jensen.
Extending the kernel of a relational DBMS with comprehensive support
for sequenced temporal queries. TODS 2016.
- D. Taliun, J. Gamper, U. Leser, C. Pattaro. Fast sampling-based
whole-genome haplotype block recognition. TCBB 2016.
- A. Dignös, M.H. Böhlen, J. Gamper. Overlap interval
partition join. SIGMOD 2014.
- M. Khayati, M.H. Böhlen, and J. Gamper. Memory-efficient
centroid decomposition for long time series. ICDE 2014.
- D. Taliun, J. Gamper, C. Pattaro. Efficient haplotype block
recognition of very long and dense genetic sequences.
BMC Bioinformatics 2014.
- A. Dignös, M.H. Böhlen, J. Gamper. Temporal alignment.
- J. Gordevicius, J. Gamper, M.H. Böhlen. Parsimonious
temporal aggregation. VLDB Journal 2012.
- N. Augsten, M. Böhlen, C. Dyreson, J. Gamper. Windowed
pq-grams for approximate joins of data-centric XML. VLDB Journal
- I. Timko, M. Böhlen, J. Gamper. Sequenced spatiotemporal
aggregation for coarse query granularities. VLDB Journal
- N. Augsten, M. Böhlen, J. Gamper. The pq-gram
distance between ordered labeled trees. TODS 2010.
- N. Augsten, M. Böhlen, C. Dyreson, J. Gamper. Approximate
joins for data centric XML. ICDE 2008.
- N. Augsten, M. Böhlen, J. Gamper. An incrementally
maintainable index for approximate lookups in hierarchical
data. VLDB 2006.
- N. Augsten, M. Böhlen, J. Gamper. Approximate
matching of hierarchical data using pq-grams.
Teaching and Student Supervision
I am currently supervising the following PhD students: David
Blumenthal, Theodoros Chondrogiannis, Giovanni Mahlknecht, Michael
Former PhD students: Bruno Cadonna, Juozas Gordevicius, Markus
Innerebner, Daniel Taliun. Co-supervision: Nikolaus Augsten, Romans
Kasperovics, Judith Knapp.
At the graduate and undergraduate level, I am teaching the
Proposals for BSc/MSc theses are